Paper: From 2 to 3 dimensions
2-Day workshop with Georgia Gremouti
December 2 & 3 2023
Duration: 12 hours
Apart from being a writing surface, paper is a foldable means, a potential three-dimensional surface. Driven by this concept, we will explore the possibilities offered by this material as it transforms into a sculptural object through both traditional and contemporary paper folding techniques.
This workshop aims at combining theoretical and practical knowledge. We will start by setting the historical background that leads to a more profound perception and, then, we will examine the techniques – the why and how. More specifically, by completing this seminar, students will have acquired:
– A broad understanding of paper in terms of its art, design and applications on jewelry. We will study the works of artists using paper, with an emphasis on the 20th and 21st century.
– Knowledge on the history of the means, its evolution throughout time, the way of manufacturing various types of paper, by focusing on 3D corrugation.
– Ability of applying the geometry of corrugation on the construction of three-dimensional form. We will discuss about the evolution from Bauhaus to 20th and 21st century technologies and the combination of handmade with CAD design.
– Practice on the development of works based on folding techniques, as paper can be folded in a wide array of shapes and structures.
– Ability to explore the applications on other means such as plastic, fabric, leather, metal and others.
Instructor: Georgia Gremouti | https://www.georgiagremouti.com/
Workshop duration: 12 hours | December 2 & 3 2023
Schedule: Saturday 2/12, 11.00-15.00 & 16.00-18.00
Sunday 3/12, 11.00-15.00 & 16.00-18.00
Number of participants: 6-10 people
Participation cost: 140 € + 24% VAT